Leila Woods

MISS LEILA WOODS.tif

Dublin Core

Title

Leila Woods

Person Item Type Metadata

Biographical Text

Always a lady in demeanor, but an instructor at heart. Miss Leila Woods served for twenty six years on the faculty of Dickinson State College. She came to teach math, but she left having taught gentility. Miss Woods came to Dickinson from her home state of Illinois. There she had taught mathematics at Monroe Center after graduating from Knox College in Galesburg, Illinois. Her master's degree was obtained from the University of Chicago, and she also did graduate work at the University of Oregon. She arrived in Dickinson in 1929, and taught mathematics and science there at the high school for nine years before Mr. Pippin asked her to join the faculty
at the college. For twenty-six years she served "The College on Hill" as the '' Dean of Women, and also held the title of Professor of Mathematics. Always busy, Miss Woods helped organize, with the help of Pierre Salinger, the first Student Council at the college, and was its faculty adviser until her retirement in 1964. The first sorority was organized in April of 1941'" with the assistance of Miss Woods, and she acted as its adviser until she left the college. Oil painting was one of her hobbies, and many homes in Dickinson are graced with her endeavors. Travel was also a hobby. She particularly enjoyed her travels in the United States, viewing many of the great natural wonders during her summer vacations when she was not attending a graduate summer school course. Miss Woods was a member of a number of professional, church and social organizations. These included the North Dakota and National Education Associations, the local chapter of American Pen Women, of which she was both local and state president. She was a member of Eastern Star, Delta Kappa Gamma, DAR, of which she was the local treasurer and president for two years, the Congregational Church, the National Association of Women Deans and Counselors, and Administrative Women in Education, of which she was state treasurer. She served for ten years as president of the State Association of Deans of Women. Always busy, but never too busy to be kind and gracious, seemed to be the guiding philosophy of this lady who served as the model for thousands of young girls as they wended their way through the halls of Stickney and Klinefelter Halls. It was only fitting that her service was recognized in 1975 when the newest girls'
dormitory was named "Woods Hall" in her honor.

Collection

Citation

“Leila Woods,” Dickinson State University Archive, accessed November 13, 2018, http://www.dsuarchive.com/items/show/40.